Thursday, March 20, 2014

Target Beauty Box -- March 2014

When I first heard of subscription beauty boxes, I was super intrigued and instantly considered starting one. I researched A LOT of boxes that are out there to find the one I thought would best fit me and my beauty style (very basic and simple, in case you don't know me). If you've read much of my blog, then you know I decided on Beauty Box 5. BUT when I was looking into all of my options, I ran across the Target Beauty Box. They ran a one month trial back in May (2013). The box was $5 plus tax. FIVE DOLLARS! I'm currently paying $10 a box with Beauty Box 5, and while I am enjoying it overall, cheaper is always better for me, especially since I don't mind drugstore brands. (If I'm honest, I prefer them since those are the products I can actually afford to continue using on a regular basis.) Anyway, it wasn't an option because they only ran it for that one month, so I chose Beauty Box 5 and moved on with life. BUT, they had another one this month! You better believe I ordered one!

Here are the details. It's still $5 a month, making it even cheaper than Beauty Box 5's yearly subscription rate ($99 for the year = $8.75/box). You do have to pay tax, but mine was only $.30. Shipping is supposed to be free, but sadly, Target's website had a glitch when I ordered where it was charging for shipping, so I had to call and have someone fix it. Annoying, but whatever. One of my favorite features of Target's box is that you can see what the products are prior to ordering, so if nothing interests you, then don't order it. There isn't a recurring subscription like most other boxes, which I also really like. This means you aren't charged for the next month if you forget to cancel. The downside is they may be sold out before you get one, but for me, that's better than being charged for something I don't want. (They aren't advertising for April yet, so I have no idea how often they are going to be offering these.) Anyway, the actual box.

1. TONI&GUY Casual Sea Salt Texturising Spray (2.5 fl oz): Want beachy hair without hitting the surf? Spray from root to tip for salty, sultry texture and subtle, windswept waves.
Cost: $16.99 for 6.8 oz., making this bottle worth $6.25 (already more than the box!)
I actually already received this product from a divvy I did (read what that is here), but if it works, then I'll just have more. If not, I'll put this one up on my edivv shop. 

2. L’Oreal Voluminous Butterfly Mascara (.22 fl oz): Stretch and lengthen lashes for a fluttery, winged-out look with this unique mascara formula and revolutionary asymmetrical Butterfly Brush.
Cost: $7.99 for .22oz. This is full size, so this product alone is also worth more than the whole box! 
I love mascara. I wont open this for a while as I currently have several I need to use up, and I don't want this to dry out before I get around to it. Regardless, I always love a new mascara, especially a volumizing (Blogger is telling me that isn't a word, but I really want it to be, so I'm leaving it.) one.

3. Herbal Essences Naked Dry Shampoo (1.7 oz): Give hair a rejuvenating boost with this paraben and colorant-free formula made with natural tapioca to instantly absorb excess oil with less residue.
Cost: $4.99 for 4.9oz., making my sample worth $1.73.
Dry shampoo has become an item I must always have on hand. My hair gets so greasy, so it's a nice way to quickly refresh my hair. I recently learned you're only supposed to wash your hair two times a week! I'm lucky if I can go every other day, and that's only if I have the help of dry shampoo. I'm planning a blog post comparing different dry shampoos I've tried, and I will be sure to include this one in that.

4. COVERGIRL Smoochies Sizzle Gloss (.44 fl oz): Pucker up. Sheer color meets sizzling shimmer in a moisturizing formula that’s always stunning, never sticky.
Cost: $4.99 (Target's website says, "See store for pricing." so this is just a guess based on other stores' prices.) for .44 fl oz. (Full size!)
This is the product I was least excited about in the box. I'm a chapstick (well, Burt's Bees if you want to be technical) girl. The one I received is actually a shimmery clear (called Date Night), instead of the pinkish one advertised, so I am PUMPED about that! My biggest complaint about lip gloss is the stickiness, but this one surprisingly isn't. I figured it was all just a marketing ploy, but it's actually truthful. This won't replace my beloved Burt's Bees, but I will likely use this when I want to be a bit more glossy. (Forgive me for not using my own pictures; my hard drive crashed two days ago, so uploading pictures there isn't really an option at this point. I'm currently using a Chromebook, which is internet only and blogger isn't wanting to upload pictures from my phone for some reason.)
5. Jergens BB Cream Light (2 fl oz): Finally, a multi-tasking beauty cream in a quick-drying formula that goes on sheer and delivers visible results in just 5 days.
Cost:  $11.99 for 7.5 oz, making my sample worth $3.20.
When I saw this product, I thought it was a BB cream for your face, which I was excited to try because I've been hearing a lot about BB creams, but have never used one. Like the picture shows, this is a body cream. (Yeah, it helps to read thoroughly.) I applied it to my arms today. According to Jergens' website, this cream is supposed to hydrate, illuminate, even, firm, and correct your skin. The first two are said to happen immediately, whereas the last three are noticeable after five days of use. I can't attest to the last three yet, since I've only used it once, but it does hydrate and gave my skin a bit of a glow (aka illuminate). The cream is beige-colored and has a light scent. It's not my favorite smell, but creams like this typically have weird smells, often much worse than this one. It's not over-powering, so I'll probably continue to use it and see if it evens, firms, and corrects my skin like it claims. I have pretty blotchy skin, so this could be super helpful for me.

Total Value: If I had purchased these products from Target individually (which is actually impossible since some are sample sized), it would've cost around $24.16. This is a great value since I only paid $5.30. Also, I didn't include this earlier, but the box it comes in is awesome! It's just a plain white, super sturdy box inside the target brand sleeve, so it's definitely reusable. I'm very pleased with Target's beauty box. I really hope they continue to offer these!

No comments:

Post a Comment