Saturday, August 29, 2015

Stitch Fix #2 Review

If you know me, you know I have little to no fashion sense. I also despise shopping. (And have even less desire to do so with two small children in tow.) All of those components make Stitch Fix a good option for me. If you don't know what Stitch Fix is, I recommend you go read my first review here. In short, it's a styling service for women where your personal stylist hand selects five items to send in the mail and you decide whether to keep them or send them back. Shopping made easy. 

This time I asked my stylist for prints and textures since my entire closet is comprised of solids and a couple stripes. Here's what I received: 

Daniel Rainn Manzee Crochet Detail Top - $68


This shirt is really pretty, but I had a few issues with it. First, it's a tad too big. The arm holes are too low (forgot to photograph that) and the body is a bit too wide. Secondly, I hate wearing a strapless bra, and I also don't like showing bra straps. I have to do one of those two things with this shirt. No thanks. Thirdly, it's dry clean only. Not happening. (This made me realize I needed to add a note to my style profile that I don't do dry cleaning. ever.) All and all, a $68 dry clean only shirt just isn't a great match for this stay at home mom. RETURNED

Skies Are Blue Anya Split Neck Blouse - $48


I asked for patterns, but this might be a little too much pattern for my comfort. Also, it hangs strangely off my chest (I think it's a dart issue). The material is amazing though. Even though it's 100% polyester, it's super soft. I have a split neck blouse by this brand pinned on my style board, so I appreciate that my stylist is paying attention (you can attach a pinterest board to your style profile so your stylist can see things you like), but this one didn't work for me. RETURNED

Everly Maura Dress - $58

the face says it all

When I peeked at my fix (yes, I have zero patience and did it again), I could not find this dress anywhere (anywhere being Google and Pinterest). I must be the first person to receive it and post about it. My stylist again clearly looked at my pinterest board because I have several scallop hemmed dresses and shirts pinned. But, I specifically said in my profile that while I want to hide my post-baby tummy, I do not want to look like I'm wearing a bag and this dress did exactly that. Also, as you can see in the picture, the arm pit holes were way to big/low for me. 


One cool thing I've learned about Stitch Fix is you can exchange an item due to size (or defect). In other words, I could contact customer service and ask if they have this exact dress in a smaller size (you cannot change colors or any other detail). If they have it in stock, they'll send a free shipping label, you send the item back, and they send the new size. There is a catch however. You MUST keep the exchanged size. It's a nice feature if you're in love with an item and it's the wrong size, but there's still a gamble that the new size will be right.

[Update: I requested a size exchange for an item in my first fix. Go back and see here.]

Even though an exchange is possible, I wasn't in love with this dress enough to try it. There's still too much risk for me not knowing how the next size down would fit. RETURNED

Just Black Shaylee Straight Leg Jeans - $78


I've read a lot of Stitch Fix reviews (I like to know what I'm getting into before I start something), and one thing I've consistently read is how amazing Stitch Fix pants are. I absolutely have to agree. These jeans fit soooo well and are extremely comfortable. Unfortunately, they're way too long. Yes, I know I could hem them and I've seriously considered it, but I also already own these jeans...


On one hand, my stylist clearly understands what I like. On the other, do I really need three pairs of extremely similar jeans? The combination of already owning two pairs of almost identical pants and then having to do work on this pair for them to be right made me decide to say no. RETURNED

Bancroft Karlita Hammered Coin Earrings - $28


Lastly, I got my first piece of jewelry from Stitch Fix. While filling out my style profile, I had a hard time deciding whether I wanted to receive jewelry or not. 

Small portion of style profile

I know that their jewelry prices are much higher than what I could pay for something similar somewhere else, which made me want to check that I did not want to receive any jewelry in my fixes. (I'm still a penny pincher at heart.) However, just because I CAN find it elsewhere, doesn't mean I will take the time to do so. I currently wear two pairs of earrings, both of which were gifted to me. This ultimately made me decide to keep it open as an option. Yes, I might have to pay a higher price for a simple/not-so-unique piece of jewelry, but I clearly could use a couple more options in this department and having Stitch Fix send it, might just make me do it. And in this fix, it did.


I like these earrings. They're simple and will go with most anything. I don't like them for $28, but since nothing else was a great match this time, keeping the earrings prevents me from "losing" my styling fee and I will definitely get use out of them. (If you return all the items, the $20 styling fee is theirs to keep. If you keep at least one item, the styling fee is credited toward your purchase.) I am only paying $8 extra to keep them. In reality, I'm paying nothing because I currently have $50 in credits. (THANK YOU LAURA AND GINGER!) KEEP

Overall, even though my items weren't perfect this time, I don't consider it a complete bust. It's still fun to receive a package of personalized goodies to try and never have to leave the house (or put on makeup). 
They also send a card with suggestions on how to style each item.

If you want to give Stitch Fix a try (and you should!), PLEASE use one of the links in this blog. When you use my referral link and order a box, it credits me $25 at no extra cost to you. This will allow me to continue to enjoy this fun service! (If you already ordered a fix without a referral, you can contact customer service and they can still give me credit.) 

*Thank you also to the Rachel who signed up with my link! I do not know which one of the many Rachel's it was to properly thank you.

1 comment: